Friday 3 May 2013

Vote in May, Change Government on that Day o.O

Wow. Just, wow @@ I never realized how supportive Penangites can be until tonight.

       The DAP ceramah was held just now at 8:30pm in Esplanade. I'd never been to such an event before, was feeling both curious and a tad nosy, so I tagged along with my parents and grandma. Along the way, more flags came upon view, and I saw this big-ass 1Malaysia structure in Gurney Drive. I shuddered at all this blue. They better take them down after the elections == Even the trees were a sorry sight with those flags attached to their trunks. If they had voices, I'm pretty sure they'd be going 'Get these things off me!' >:( 

      Later, we managed to find a parking spot, but it was a bit far away from the venue, so we had to walk quite a distance o.O As we got closer, I saw streams of people walking to and from that place. Assorted vehicles held white Rocket flags, with the drivers honking and blowing into plastic horns to show their support. Even some people held signs that said 'Honk for DAP' or something like that. Boy, it was a total sound pollution o.O

       Everyone was feeling very high tonight, shouting 'Ini kalilah! UBAH!' at the top of their lungs. People had red DAP fans in hand, the hornbill mascot hats and paper crowns on their heads, white flags held aloft and even those inflated red stick balloons, which  could cause quite a ruckus when you clap them together. There were glowing badges, Rocket tattoos which they stick on their cheeks, along with some other merchandise they sold at those stalls: Bags, umbrellas, bottles, bookmarks, etc. Vendors set up their business selling food and drinks to all. There were also multiple screens that broadcast the stage way up ahead, and speakers booming loudly with the politicians' voices, convenient for viewers and listeners who were at the back. 

      Someone said that there're about 90-100k people present. Wow @@ No wonder. With so many people all gathered in that one place, already I wanted to go home =w=lll I know, I'm a party pooper sometimes, but I couldn't stand the sound and smells >< I kept hearing everyone shouting 'UBAH!' '五月五,换政府!' (wu yue wu, huan zheng fu; 5th of May, Change Government!) And those horns! Aren't people tired of blowing them? I guess they really are that supportive o.O I dislike the fact that some people there were smoking, yuck >< I kept fanning at the stench, but it was no use.

       Despite the warm atmosphere that made us all perspire madly and the crowd of people all squeezing together in one place, they were still pumping their fists, cheering and hooting, waving their flags merrily, all high in spirit. Everyone seemed to be in favor of a change in government. And all of this made all Penangites unite and become one. 1PENANG! >:D

      I wasn't in the mood for cheering, though. I'm more of an observer of this event than a supporter, a neutral party. I found that the politicians' tongues were quite slick. They really know how to 'peli' (mock) the other party. Even though they kept replaying those slogans over and over and over, the audience never seemed to tire from it. I have to admit, I admire the people's spirit, their love for Penang, and their endless moral support for this party. It's quite contagious, this whole thing. People were whipping out their phones and tabs, holding them aloft like the flags, taking loads of pictures and recording everything whilst walking. When I came back home and logged on to Facebook, I saw loads of my friends bombarding the news feed with photos and statuses of the event. It definitely made history.

      At 10:30pm, it hadn't ended yet, but me and my family then went our way first, dodging motorbikes and weaving our way to the car. On the way, we stopped to have supper over at this food court. Fried ice cream, mint chocolate cake and soda really helped XD After a whole night sweating in the heat and standing among the crowd for hours, I felt better when my stomach was replenished with food. 

     Well! If you ask me, I'm never going back to an event like this ever again :/ One-time experience of it is enough, thank you very much. I'm just not into crowds, I guess. It depends. I'll just be a couch potato and watch the news instead =w=lll Good night, everyone! Happy voting on Sunday! 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment